Thursday 18 June 2009

Comfort women

In The Hague, The Netherlands, is currently an exhibition about: Comfort women, an unfinished history. This exhibition shows that by breaking the human rights a quick reaction is needed in order to prevent following generations to suffer from the same issues.

The exhibitions shows the crimes through three stories, partially of personal testimonials. Two are from Korean "troostmeisjes" (comfort women) and a third one is of a woman who was forced to have sex in a concentration camp of the Nazi's in World War II.

Probably tomorrow I will visit this exhibition as is relevant to my research topic gender issues and my interest about comfort women.

Does anyone know if these kind of exhibitions are also held in other countries?

1 comment:

  1. Belinda, I visited the small Comfort Women's museum in Tokyo during my extra time there. Unfortunately it was very small and hard to find so I doubt they have many visitors, but it was relatively informative. They had a decent-sized reference section (mostly in Japanese, of course) including books, testimonials, and videos regarding the subject. Otherwise, it is the only Comfort Women museum in Japan. Satoko said that there are many in Korea, however. I wonder if there are any here in the US...

    --Tammy

    ReplyDelete