Friday 26 June 2009

Overall reflection

It has been some days now that I returned from Japan. During these days I have been telling a lot of people about my trip and showing them the pictures I made. Japan is a very interesting country and culture and I enjoyed the experience.

In my professional work I have a lot of influences of the Japanese culture, working according to the TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) method. This is an improvement philosophy established in Japan. After our study trip I visited a brewery for my company. In the brewery I asked them about their TPM program, and they laughed at me as I was the stupid European asking for this program. I found out that the do not have this program because for them it is their way of working. So, I really need to bring more of this culture into my company, it's not another program but it's a way of work/life.

The experience broadened my view and visions on the history but also on global peace and why people would really go for it. I can understand people better and have become less pessimistic and sceptic about world peace. So to be honest, this trip made me personally grow as I started thinking about topics I have not been thinking as thorough before.

Also the group was very valueble for me as we could discuss various topics from many perspectives: Japanese, American, Dutch, Canandian. We all have a different background and goal but I enjoyed being a part of this group.

Thanks to all!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for describing your personal integrations regarding this course. I get excited too when I hear about the discoveries you made about the living/working ethic in Japan, and about how you might be less skeptical about working for issues like world peace. It was a privilege to work with you in this course. Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete